Skip to main content

My blog plan for 2018

I am hoping that this will be year that I am truly back in the blog business.   Here's the plan

In Blue Mountains Journal I plan to explore each of the towns that make up the City of the Blue Mountains - a new town every couple of weeks.  We are not so up to taking bush walks any more so this seems like a plan that has a good chance of working.

I hope to post once a week at Burnbrae Journal while again reflecting on a Psalm each week, beginning from Psalm 1.  It is wonderful way to record the happenings in the garden and when I retire later in the year (assuming I really do it this time) I have great hopes for more to happen there.  It is shady and weedy but has such great bones and wonderful trees is manages to be glorious despite my lack of effort.

There are however another two large gardens competing for my time.  The easy care bush block at Clandulla which I would like to develop further with Australian native plantings when I am out there more and can manage the watering regime which will help them to establish. It's often a dry place.  And another very different garden in town at Kandos with lots of sunshine, roses, orchard trees and great expanses of lawn.  I am still discovering this one. I will post the story of both of these gardens at Whistlers Rest perhaps once or twice a week until the excitment of the new garden wains.

We don't get out Sweet Wayfaring as much as we used and now we have a new bigger caravan it is much harder to stop at my every whim.  But we will endeavour to get out more and when we do I will post.

I have been mulling over how to reignite the excitement we had visiting the 100 towns.  Should I pick another 100? It didnt seem practical.  Should I do 100 towns revisited? There is not quite the same thrill in returns.  We rather like heritage trains so I am currently considering following the towns on the old Gwabegar railway line which runs out from Wallerwang through Kandos, on to Mudgee and Gulgong and further on to Gwabeger in the Pillager Forest which is out Coonabarbran way.  So the places are close and familiar. It will mean revisiting some the 100 towns and adding new ones. I will get onto that project perhaps later in the year.

The Royal Collection got some interest through a recent ABC Curious Central West article Royal Hotel: Why is it Australia's most common pub name.  This made me realise that I have dozens of hotels not yet added to the collection and has encouraged some new guest contributions so I will get onto updating it in the next week or so before I go back to work. I wonder how many I am up to now … if I stick to plan I should know soon.

Comments